Friday, August 12, 2011

Baby Beer

About two weeks ago Niek and I took a trip to the baby mega-store, known here as Prénatal.  I imagine it's probably something like the American behemoth, Babies"R"Us, except on a much smaller scale.  We had yet to visit the place, and we only went for one thing: the free box of crap they give you.  If you sign up and agree to have annoying e-mails sent to your inbox, probably for the rest of your kid's life, Prénatal will send you a voucher for "The Happy Box."  I didn't really think much of the name, until Niek informed me that "box" can also be used as a euphemism for female genitalia in Dutch.  Got to love the marketing genius who came up with the free giveaway.  So, we made our way to to the superstore cracking jokes about my happy box along the way.

We didn't buy anything, and we spent very little time looking around.  I just wanted my free stuff.  Lots of standard things in the package: coupons for things I didn't need, advertisements for things I didn't want, a few newborn diapers, a pacifier, blah, blah, blah.  But then, at the bottom, I spotted something pretty amazing.  Among the ruins of ads for shampoo and formula were two miniature cans of this:

That's right.  I got two cans of alcohol-free beer in my free box of baby stuff.  And not just any beer, witbier.  It almost tastes like actual beer, but it doesn't quite cut it.  I'm not going to complain, though.  I never would have thought that I would be getting beer, even the non-alcohol kind, in a box intended for pregnant ladies.  Do you think they would put something like this in a giveaway for pregnant women in America?  I'm going to say no, but it's a great idea.  What a great market for this product.  It really made my trip to the superstore worth it.

3 comments:

  1. Haha! (What, no candy cigarettes too?) The beer is a great idea. And I wonder what the Dutch would think of our new TV media hub -- the Boxee. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A week later and I'm still trying to work out a joke on the western American Indian baby store Ute"R"Us. Guess this as far as I get.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just for you, I posted photos of chickens and asparagus today.

    ReplyDelete