Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Rainy Season Food

I talked to Regan for a little bit last week, and her internet connection was even good enough to support Skype's video function. It's apparently rainy season in Nigeria right now, and then I thought about how it has felt like rainy season here for months.  A few weeks ago, we had a terribly rainy and cold Sunday, and the weather enticed me to stay inside and make some comfort food.  When I was a kid and it was raining, nothing seemed to hit the spot better than grilled cheese sandwiches with a bowl of tomato soup.  I have luckily landed in a country that loves grilled cheese.  They call them tosti's here, and they are made with Dutch cheese and Dutch bread.
It's a horrible admission to make, but I have to confess that when I first came here I was incredibly disappointed by the bread.  I think I was expecting to get the same kind I ate when I lived in Germany, especially the little breakfast breads, brötchen.  I ate those things every morning and sometimes stole them from the basket for my lunch, too.  That's not really how bread is here.  Your average bread looks kind of like plain, old sandwich bread.  My expectations to have a crispy crust with a soft center were dashed to pieces that first time around.  Since that first visit, I have amended my opinion of Dutch bread considerably, and I've come to love it, especially now that I've found a good baker nearby.  As good as it is I still have no clue how the Dutch can eat so much of it.  Niek's eight and ten slice a day habit makes no sense to me.  Even I as a carbaholic cannot fathom that.  Still, I like making my tosti's with it, and it the absolute best food for a rainy day lunch.  
The weather seemed to break in the afternoon, so I thought it would be a perfect time for a run.  When we only had a few miles left to go it started to rain, and then it started to hail.  The dog was not amused.
Sorry for such a short post.  I'm leaving for a conference tomorrow, and I've got a billion things to do before I go.  Can't wait to eat Mexican food in L.A., oh and give a presentation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment